Thursday, March 17, 2016

Lasting Impact

When you are on the brink of a major life event (in my case turning 30) you start to reflect on what you have done up until that point in your life. Today has been filled with one of those reflective moments. You see, I just finished scoring 25 essays for the TEAMS competition that the Technology Student Association coordinates. Scoring the essays, along with a conversation I had with my parents this weekend, made me realize that as of the 2016 National Conference, I’ve been involved with TSA for over 17 years. That is officially more than half of my life. Looking back, I don’t think anyone would have guessed that the awkward 7th grader who walked into Mr. Calfee and Mr. Fagan’s Tech Ed classroom would still be tied to TSA at this point, but I am and I couldn’t be happier to say that I am one of the alumni who continue to give back to the organization that gave us so much.



When you say that you were involved in the Technology Student Association to people their first thought is that you spent your time in middle school and high school “geeking out” with computers, robots, and other STEM related things or if you happen to say TSA instead of the full name of the organization, people look at you funny because middle school and high school students certainly do not run the security checkpoints at any airport they’ve been to. While the main focus, and even the mission of TSA, is to provide opportunities in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics through such arenas as competitions, for me the lessons I learned and the growth I experienced went beyond the competitions and beyond STEM.



The reason a lot of members join TSA is for the competitions. Members spend the whole year reading every detail of an event’s rules and perfecting their project or their research/practicing for the day that a regional, state, or national conference takes place. Trust me, we all want to make it to the finalist round and then to be one of the individuals or teams that get to stand on the stage at the awards ceremony, but to me, the most important lessons and the most incredible learning moments take place outside of the competitions. They take place in the hours before and after school where members work as teams to accomplish their goal- to get that bridge to support the most weight, or get the car sanded down to the exact shape they wanted, or to finally get through a Chapter Team practice without forgetting your part in the TSA Creed. They take place in the conversations that you have with your advisors when you don’t think you are going to finish in time, when you are doubting your ability to give a speech in front of other people, and when they see potential in you that you may not have realized yet. They take place in the opportunities that you are given to become a leader within your chapter, to share with an outsider what TSA is, and in the moments where you make connections with other students from around the world who share the same passion that you have for the organization that makes you wear all that blue in official dress, or in my time, the lovely blazers and funny little ties for women.



I was one of the lucky students who had the opportunity to serve as a Chapter, State, and a National Officer. In those roles, I had the opportunity to see different sides of TSA and was able to make connections with even more individuals who helped shape me as a young adult. It was also through these experiences that the foundation of who I was and who I would be as an adult was formed. Serving in those roles helped push me out of my comfort zone; put me in positions where I had to work with team members who weren’t always there like they had been in my chapter; and put me in situations where I had to represent over 200,000 members in what I said and what I did. My confidence level increased, my communication skills were honed, and my understanding of what leadership is was made clear. Looking back, I know that I wouldn’t be where I am today without the experiences I had while I was a student member in TSA. As a student member, I learned the importance of work ethic and teamwork. I learned the importance of creating connections and networking. I learned that anyone can grow and be developed into a leader. I learned that mistakes happen and that as long as you learn from those moments, everything will be ok. I learned the importance of sticking to your word (yes, Calfee, I am referring to that time you shaved your head when we by some miracle placed 1st at Nationals in Chapter Team). I learned how to communicate my passions. I learned how to be a leader, and honestly, there were probably 100s of more lessons that I learned while I was a member.



Today, I am the Director of Student Conduct at a Community College. When we talk about notable alumni from TSA, or when we have alumni come back and speak to students, typically those notable alumni are in a STEM related position/field or they may be in an incredible leadership position such as having military or political experience. However, when you think about the thousands of students who are members in TSA, not everyone is going to end up in a career related to STEM or in a substantial leadership position. Some of us go from that awkward 7th grader to an almost 30 year old working in education, but in an administrative position. No matter what career path a TSA member takes though, the skills, the experiences, and the leadership opportunities that TSA provides are relevant and critical. They are the things that will set you apart in both college applications and when you enter the workforce. My problem solving skills wouldn’t be to the level they are without participating in some of my TSA competitions and interacting with some of my team members on my officer teams. My public speaking confidence certainly wouldn’t be anywhere close to where It is without Prepared Presentation, Exempt, and standing on stage as an officer. My work ethic wouldn’t be as strong if it hadn’t been for those hours before and after school spent working on competitions. My ability to explain to people what I do or share information about organizations I’m involved in wouldn’t be as polished if it wasn’t for all the time spent practicing elevators speeches so that I could share with “outsiders” what TSA is. I wouldn’t be the team player I am without the team competitions and the officer teams I served on. And I wouldn’t be the advisor and mentor to my College students if it weren’t for the amazing role models I had in my advisors and other TSA “adults.”


17 years. Most of the current TSA members aren’t anywhere close to even being 17 years old. Looking back, I wouldn’t change anything. I am so grateful for the opportunities that I had when I was a TSA member and am grateful for the opportunities I have had since graduating like helping to run conferences, judging, coordinating events, and serving on the TSA Alumni Association Board. 17 years from now, I hope I’m still doing something to help the organization but for now, I’m looking forward to the National Conference in June and seeing some of my best friends, favorite people, and lifelong mentors. 


No comments:

Post a Comment