Monday, March 23, 2015

My First Adventure For Someone Else

It has been almost two years since I last wrote on this blog and a lot has happened in the time between my last post and now. There have been many life changes, but I'm getting ready for a new adventure and thought that friends and family may be interested in hearing about my next overseas trip.

Every time I have traveled has been for myself. I've gone to places that I have wanted to go, seen and done what was on my list to do, and in most cases I've gone by myself (and then ended up on tour groups, making friends, etc). When I did Semester at Sea, even though I was helping build community and look after the students on the ship, big reasons for me going on the MV Explorer were for my own professional development and to expand my cultural experiences. So what is different about the trip I'm about to take next week? This time the adventure isn't for me, it is for someone else.

As most of you know, I was born in Scotland and lived there until I was 8. Even though I haven't lived in Scotland for 20 years, Scotland is still home and will always be. One of the biggest parts of my identity is the fact that I am Scottish and therefore bring different experiences, background, and cultural beliefs to the table. Being Scottish is something that I am proud of, and there is something about Scotland that no matter how far away you go or how long you have been away for that you are always connected to the land and the people.

Last summer, I went back to Scotland for the first time in 10 years. The reason for my visit was not a happy one but it filled something in me that had been missing. It was amazing to be back home and see the land and family that I had been a part from for so long. It also reminded me how important it is to stay connected and to not stay away for as long as I had. This trip also made me think about what is important to me and what I want to be able to share with the people that I love so that they also understand where I am from and what it means to be from Scotland and always have the connection of being Scottish. I've also always believe that if I ever met an extremely important person in my life that I would need to take them to Scotland for them to see where I grew up, meet my family who are so important to me, and see the beauty of the land I love. Fast forward to today and that is why I am taking this trip.



On Friday, I leave with my partner in crime, Mike, to take him to Scotland for the very first time. Mike has never traveled outside of the US so this is a big trip for multiple reasons. The most important part of this trip though is that it is not for me and I won't be focused on the things that I want to do or see. Instead, this trip is focused on Mike and letting him see and experience Scotland for the first time. I think it is going to be amazing to watch him and see his reactions to both the country and the people that we are going to interact with. I really don't think he knows what he is in for and more than likely he won't understand half of what people say to him. I'm looking forward to watching him as we travel around the country and I can't wait for him to fall in love with the county that is home to me.

So where are we going and what are we doing? Well we are trying to cram as much as possible into our 8 days in Scotland! I will hopefully be updating the blog every day to provide you all with pictures and information about our trip so you can keep up with what we are doing and where we are going. And who knows, maybe someone will stumble upon this blog that is planning a trip to Scotland and they can get some helpful tips from what we are doing! Below is our itinerary. I'm looking forward to sharing updates and pictures with you all :)

Day One: Glasgow
Day Two: Glasgow
Day Three: Oban & Loch Lomond
Day Four: Glencoe, Inverness & Loch Ness
Day Five: Edinburgh
Day Six: St. Andrews & Fife
Day Seven: Edinburgh to Maybole
Day Eight: Maybole


No comments:

Post a Comment